James Brice House Renovation for the International Masonry Institute Offices
COMPLETED IN 2003
This adaptive re-use project provided a rare opportunity to work on a historic landmark dating to 1766. Offices for the IMI, including a break room and an accessible restroom were fitted into the modest two-story East Wing of the house. The single volume of the west wing was outfitted for use as a Library and Conference Room with a custom conference table, carpets and casework. One particularly significant area of historic plaster was left exposed and protected to allow it to be viewed. Other original pieces of the building were handled carefully, worked around and left intact while new mechanical, electrical, plumbing and sprinkler systems were inserted. Traditional techniques and materials like sand-set brick floor and harled lime plaster with a lime wash were used echoing the original finishes.
All images courtesy of Tigerman McCurry Architects.